Q What is KVPY?
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana
It is a National Level Scholarship Program organized by The Indian Institute of Science i.e. IISc. It was launched in the year 1999.
The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented and motivated students to pursue the research career in the field of basic sciences, engineering & medicine.
Q What is the eligibility criteria for the exam?
Students studying in Classes 11th& 12th along with the ones who are in the first year of graduation are eligible to take the test.
Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students are called for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure. For receiving a fellowship, both aptitude test and interview marks are considered.
The merit list is based on 75% weight-age for Aptitude Test marks and 25% weight-age for the interview marks in the streams SA, SB and SX.
- SA can be written by students studying Science stream in class 11.
- SX can be written by students studying Science stream in class 12.
- SB can be written by students studying Science stream in the first year of graduation.
Q When is KVPY Exam conducted?
- KVPY exam is generally conducted in the month of November.
- The Application form would be available from the second week of July.
- Final Result Declaration along with the interview would take place in the month of March or April, the next year.
BENEFITS OF KVPY:
Students selected in KVPY are given scholarships throughout their course on monthly basis for both Graduation & Post graduation.
For UG Courses:
B.Sc.| B.S.| B.Stat.| B.Math.| Int. M.Sc/ M.S. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry & Biology.
Scholarship awarded is Rs. 5000 every month along with annual contingency grant of Rs. 20,000 and Rs. 7000 + Rs. 28,000 annual contingency grant for the Post-graduate Courses: M.Sc.| 4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc. | M.S.| M.Math. | M.Stat.
*If students opt for UG Courses other than mentioned above are not eligible for the scholarship.
Q Which all institutes take students via KVPY?
The major crowd puller for KVPY scholars is the IISc i.e. Indian Institute of Science, since admission to IISc through KVPY is much simpler than through JEE Mains/Advanced.
Other than that, the seven IISERs i.e. Indian Institutes of Science Education & Research in Pune, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Berhampur, Thiruvananthapuram and Tirupati also give preference to KVPY scholars during admission.
- Aptitude Test: After scrutiny of application forms and meeting the eligibility criteria for various streams, all eligible students will be called for aptitude test conducted both in Hindi and English at different centers across the country. The details of the venue of the aptitude test for the eligible students and their seat number will be published in the KVPY website.
- Students may download the admit card for the aptitude test from the website.
- Interview: Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students will be asked to appear for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure.
Date of KVPY 2017 Exam: The KVPY Exam will be held in the month of Oct 2017 (tentative date).
KVPY Exam Pattern
- Mode of Exam: The entrance exam will be organized in online or offline mode.
- Duration: The duration of the exam will be three hours.
- Language: The medium of the question paper will be English & Hindi language.
- Type of Questions: It is a multiple choice question paper.
- Papers: The question paper divided into two parts: PART I & PART II.
- Marks: The question paper will be 100 marks.
For more information visit http://kvpy.iisc.ernet.in/main/index.htm